Discussion Forum - Hundreds - 2021 - Virtual 100 Open to ALL members

Author: Hazel Holey
Posted: Tue 22nd Jun 2021, 20:10
Local Group: Nidderdale
Thanks for confirming that all is well. Hazel Holey
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Tue 22nd Jun 2021, 19:29
Local Group: South Wales
Hi Hazel - I'm sorry that you didn't get an auto reply when you submitted. However, you are shown as validated so all is good.
Author: Hazel Holey
Posted: Tue 22nd Jun 2021, 14:32
Local Group: Nidderdale
Hello
My status is showing as verified but I haven't received an email confirmation whereas some people I know have. Should I have received an email? Thank you Hazel Holey 32902, 100 entrant number 378
Posted: Mon 21st Jun 2021, 19:08
Dear Entrants,

This is the â??Final Callâ??

The deadline to submit your claims for your recent efforts on â??Virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwyâ?? has been extended until 26.06.21. Thank you very much to the 414 entrants who have made contact with us. Your evidence has now been validated and if you wish to check your status you can do so at: https://www.swldwa.uk/wp/?page_id=4010

The purpose of this email is to make a final plea to the 82 entrants who havenâ??t advised us of how you got on during the weekend. Weâ??d love to hear from everyone who took part, and it we recognise that some of you might be disappointed if you didnâ??t reach the personal goal that you set yourself. Weâ??d love the results page to be as accurate as possible and at the moment, entrants who donâ??t contact us will be shown as â??Did Not Startâ??. However, weâ??d love to send you a certificate to accompany the gift that will commemorate your entry in what was the most unique LDWA event ever.

So, please do contact us by sending your claims to: virtual100@swldwa.uk

Please follow the instructions on what to do by reading the information at: https://ldwa.org.uk/2021Hundred/W/7836/validation.html

We very much look forward to hearing from you.

David
Posted: Fri 18th Jun 2021, 8:39
With one day to go until deadline for submissions of evidence to be validated for Virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy, THANK YOU to all of you who have already submitted your claims. The validation team has worked hard in the last three weeks to ensure that claims are dealt with as soon as possible. As I type this message, over 300 entrants have had their claims validated.

But, we are aware that we had some technical issues in the first seven days and it is possible that not all emails have been received by the validation team. It is also possible that if you inadvertently sent an email that was larger than 10mb, then it wonâ??t have got to us.

So, please would you visit:
https://www.swldwa.uk/wp/?page_id=4010

Enter your entry number and if your status says â??evidence not submittedâ?? yet you know that you have emailed us, then there has been an issue. We urge you therefore to re-send your evidence to us.

If you donâ??t know your entry number, a link has been provided within the above link with clear instructions on how to obtain it.

If your status is shown as â??more evidence requestedâ?? then you will have received an email stating what is needed. In the majority of these cases, the evidence form is missing.

Please ensure that all evidence claims are accompanied by the evidence form (attached to this email).

We will extend the deadline date by a week until 26.06.21 to ensure that all have the opportunity to submit claims to the team.
Posted: Thu 17th Jun 2021, 16:12
John - Your claim is now ready for validation having been uploaded to the database.

Tony - the uploaders had a zoom meeting this morning and discussed the observation made by your post. The volunteer who is looking after the emails has set it up so that his computer automatically downloads all emails from the inbox in order to prevent the inbox from being filled up. So, we don't know what the cause is that prevented you from getting through whilst your friend did.
Author: John Backhouse
Posted: Thu 17th Jun 2021, 11:25
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Hi, I submitted evidence for myself (104) and Dawn Comerie (204) on the 11th and 16th and received auto responses both times. I've checked the status app and still see that no evidence has been submitted. I shall resend evidence this evening when I return home from work.
John
Author: Tony Hill
Posted: Thu 17th Jun 2021, 9:26
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Good morning David

This morning I forwarded my Evidence email, originally sent to you on June 2, to my friend Phil Bryant (346). He has kindly sent this on to you. Phil has confirmed he has received an auto-response regarding this forwarded message. So, I now have proof of submission!

However, on chatting further with Phil, it seems he submitted his evidence on June 8, did receive an auto-reply, but your new app says that no evidence has been received.

I wonder how many other entrants are in this IT limbo? Perhaps the low response rate is really a symptom of some kind of data processing issue?

Kind regards

Tony Hill (126) & Kim Reed (147)
Author: Andrew Clabon
Posted: Thu 17th Jun 2021, 6:44
If you completed 100 miles of the virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy event and have not submitted your evidence please do so now. The deadline is 23:59 on the 19th June 2021. Without your evidence you will not be included on the results list, the LDWA 100 database or receive your personalised event certificate.

If you completed between 50 and 100 miles of the virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy event and have not submitted your evidence please do so now. The deadline is 23:59 on the 19th June 2021. Without your evidence you will not be included on the results list, not receive your personalised event certificate and not have a qualifier for future hundreds.

If you completed between 1 and 50 miles of the virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy event and have not submitted your evidence please do so now. The deadline is 23:59 on the 19th June 2021. Without your evidence you will not be included on the results list and not receive your personalised event certificate.

If you did not start please advise.

All submissions should be emailed to virtual100@swldwa.uk
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 21:40
Tony
I've sent a screenshot of your message to our volunteer who is overseeing the IT side of things. I don't know what else we can do other than provide personal email addresses which we're reluctant to do as we are aiming to keep everything we receive in a single location. Hopefully he'll have a solution for you.
Author: Antony Barter
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 20:28
Local Group: Kent
David

Thank you for your response - and a massive thank you to all those who are working behind the scenes!

My original email was overtaken by your email regarding the link to check ones status.... what a fantastic idea! I can now rest calm knowing that my evidence has been received and is in the process of being validated.

Thank you again, and once more a massive thank you to the whole volunteer team working on this project.

Regards

Tony Barter
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 20:10
Good evening David

Thanks for your help. After your reply I sent a simple text message, with no attachments, to virtual100@swldwa.uk.

Even in this case, there was no auto-reply!

Kind regards

Tony Hill (126) & Kim Reed (147)
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 14:41
Sorry to those of you who have no interest in Virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy or have already had entries validated. It does seem to be taking over the posts on Facebook and the forum.

There are a number of reasons why entrants' status might be shown as 'evidence not received'.

You didn't send it!! Obvious I know, but after the 100 we can all get confuddled, so do check that you actually emailed us.
You sent an email but didn't take into account the instructions that we placed on the website. The email size must not exceed 10mb and if your attachments come to more than 10mb it might not have been sent. So, re-email us and send the evidence over a number of emails.
In the early days, the central email inbox was quick to fill up. That's not your fault, but our volunteer cannot know who emailed us when the inbox was full. So, if you're shown as 'evidence not received' and you sent your evidence in the early days, send it again. We apologise for the inconvenience.
You think that someone has sent your evidence for you but they haven't. It's your responsibility to look after your evidence.

Finally, please don't email individual Virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy committee members. Please ensure that you email your evidence to:
virtual100@swldwa.uk

And finally, thank you to those who have contacted us and have followed the instructions. It makes our lives considerably easier and to those who haven't yet sent their evidence, please do note the instructions and ALWAYS accompany your evidence with an evidence form.
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 14:30
Hi Tony - I have checked with our single point of contact for the emails. The email inbox is not full as we are well on top of the emails. If you didn't get an auto response (and I'd also ask that you check your spam folder) then an issue that has been identified is that some are sending emails with file sizes that are too large. There is a section on the website that outlines the size of emails that should be sent.
If you haven't got an auto reply in your spam folder, then I would suggest sending the evidence again and breaking the email up so that the overall size is distributed.

We do recognise that in the early days, the inbox was overfilling.
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 13:39
Good afternoon David

On June 2nd at 12:35, I submitted the Evidence Form for Kim Reed (147) & myself (126). (Of course, this was some days before you enabled an auto-reply.)
Worryingly, it now seems from your newly posted weblink that the validators have not received my email.
Moreover, on resubmitting some 30 minutes ago, I did not get an acknowledgement... like many others correspondents on this thread.

Perhaps the unexpectedly low response you are observing is a symptom of an underlying IT issue (E.g. Full mailbox)

Finally, what should I do now?

Kind regards

Tony
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 8:49
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 8:48
One of Virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy volunteers, Gerry Jackson, has created a link that will help entrants understand what is happening with their claims.

Click on the following link, enter your entry number, and it will tell you what is happening.

If you see 'evidence not submitted' please send again as we are on top of all the emails received to date.

https://www.swldwa.uk/wp/?page_id=4010
Author: Antony Barter
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 8:40
Hello

I find it shocking that so many have not yet submitted evidence of their efforts, like many I have resisted the urge to post asking if my claim has been received - but with so many missing I can no longer resist - so apologies in advance.
I submitted evidence for myself and 2 others on Monday 31st May at 17:07 - before the auto reply implementation. Entrants: Antony Barter 124, Barry Coles 249, John Allen 355.

Thank you for all your efforts in organising this very unusual 100, and apologies again for adding to your workload.

Regards

Tony Barter
Author: Gill Struthers
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 7:04
Local Group: Essex & Herts
Thank you Dave

As ever from you, a quick and reassuring response.

Best wishes

Gill and Ginny
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 6:33
Jean - a pleasure. Lovely to read that our event motivated you after such a difficult time.

Gill and Virginia - your claims have been validated.
Author: Gill Struthers
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2021, 5:55
Dear Dave
I read the various messages in the 100 forum for the first time last night. Iâ??m sure itâ??s been a very busy time for the administrative team in South Wales.
I was shocked to learn from your post yesterday morning, that with less than four days until the closing date for submitting evidence, less than 50% of entrants had submitted.
I sent our evidence in at 11.48 on 3rd June and received an immediate automated reply, albeit into my junk folder. Can those of us who followed the instructions as requested and have not troubled your team for updates, be assured that the receipt of an automated response does indeed mean youâ??ve received our forms?
Best wishes Gill Struthers (317) Virginia Powell (318)
Author: Jean Bowers
Posted: Tue 15th Jun 2021, 19:44
Thank you. I have checked my spam folder and no email so I donâ??t know. Iâ??d like to thank you and the team for giving me a focus to work towards with the Virtual Hundred. I had some marvellous support from two very experienced walkers as well as Bill.
I do appreciate you getting back so quickly.
Posted: Tue 15th Jun 2021, 19:04
Jean - Your evidence has been sent to me to upload and will be viewed for validation by one of the team. Check your junk folder and you might see the email in there.
Well done on entering after the battle you've been through!!
Author: Jean Bowers
Posted: Tue 15th Jun 2021, 18:10
Dave I have sent my Evidence Form with the required evidence three times (Mon 7th, Thursday 10th and again today). I have not received a confirmation email and to be honest Iâ??m getting rather concerned. The marvels of modern medicine have enabled me to get fit enough to take part so would be disappointed not to get my efforts recognised and indeed the efforts of my support team.
Please would you advise me if it has been received and then I can work from there.
Thank you
Posted: Tue 15th Jun 2021, 7:34
With 4 days to go until the cut off date for submission for claims to be validated for the recent Virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy, out of the 496 entries, we are still awaiting 252 to be submitted.

Guys, we've given people plenty of time to submit, we all have lives that we're looking forward to reclaiming and are keen to get on with the job in hand.

Help us help you and get your claims in please.

We're not extending as otherwise this process will go on ad infinitum.
Posted: Tue 15th Jun 2021, 6:18
Roger,
I've asked our volunteer who is overseeing the receipt of emails if yours have been received and the answer is yes. They don't know why you didn't get an auto response as that is still set on the account.
Author: Roger Jackson
Posted: Mon 14th Jun 2021, 18:00
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi

On 08/06/2021 I sent the completion details and evidence of completion for to LDWA 100 2021 For Roger Jackson (Number 437) , Stephen Blackshaw ( Number 438), Vivien Pike (Number 439) as two emails to email address
virtual100@swldwa.uk , as requested.

We actually did 52.8 miles which hopefully is our qualifier for LDWA 100 2022 , so is important for us

I have not had any confirmation of receipt , although I have heard that there should be an automated conformation reply.

Cheers

Roger H Jackson
Author: Anthony Jenner
Posted: Mon 14th Jun 2021, 17:23
Local Group: Northumbria
Hello David,

Thanks for the update and clarification, much appreciated, as are the efforts of your team collating what no doubt is a mountain of validation information.
Author: Stephen Hall
Posted: Mon 14th Jun 2021, 8:47
Local Group: North Yorkshire
That's a big relief, many thanks for checking and letting us know
Posted: Mon 14th Jun 2021, 6:25
Stephen and Anthony. I've asked our volunteer who is overseeing the receipt of emails if yours have been received and the answer is yes. They don't know why you didn't get an auto response as that is still set on the account.
Posted: Sun 13th Jun 2021, 18:11
I have done same as Anthony, sent 2 emails 18:38 and 18:40, as of 19:10 no auto reply.
Posted: Sun 13th Jun 2021, 15:51
Hello. In anticipation of a reply to my earlier post, I have resent my evidence as two separate emails at 16:01 and 16:04, with attachments split between the two. The attachments in total are less than 10MB, with photos resized as per intructions. The emails appear to have been sent without problem.

As of 16:49, I have not received an automated acknowledgement.
Posted: Sun 13th Jun 2021, 14:13
Thanks David, I have checked my junk mail, nothing there. Also like Anthony I copied a friend in and they received the email. I will resend but spread the attachments over 2 emails, maybe too many mb's
Posted: Sun 13th Jun 2021, 9:02
Hello. Like Stephen I also submitted my Evidence and supporting information by email, on Friday 11th June at 20:17 but received an 'undelivered' response.

I resent my evidence on Saturday 12th June at 20:46. This email appears to have been sent without a problem and a friend who was copied into the email ( as a test) received it without any issues. As of today 09:58 I have not received an acknowledgement email and there is nothing in my spam/junk folders.

Can you please advise if my email has been received? I am conscious that the deadline for submission is approaching.
Posted: Sun 13th Jun 2021, 7:14
Yes there is Stephen. If you successfully send your email you will get an auto response. Have a look in your junk folder prior to resubmitting.
Posted: Sat 12th Jun 2021, 18:49
Meant to say "resend" not "respond"
Posted: Sat 12th Jun 2021, 18:47
Is there an auto reply when you submit the evidence form. I submitted one at 11:06 this morning but not had an acknowledgement, should I respond?
Author: Richard Haynes
Posted: Wed 9th Jun 2021, 19:17
Thank you.
I am reassured and relieved and I do appreciate the effort involved.
Posted: Wed 9th Jun 2021, 18:13
Hi Richard, I have just uploaded the evidence from your email in readiness to be validated. Purpose of this message is to reassure you.
Posted: Tue 8th Jun 2021, 12:23
No it doesn't' mean that Richard. You sent yours before the date that an auto reply was added. This email was sent out because 100s have still not been received, and of those that have been received, some are not following the instructions which is causing extra work.

To reiterate to all who might read this; the evidence upload form MUST accompany the evidence submitted. Please don't just send jpgs / gpx without a narrative. In addition, there is other information that we can take from the evidence form that helps populate certificates and the results pages.

Sorry to 'harp on', but if everyone follows the instructions, the whole process will be much faster. With over 400 to process, if everyone didn't follow the instructions it would take a very long time as we are re-contacting people and asking that they provide the information that was requested. To put into context, if an entrant follows the instructions, validation can take as little as 2 minutes.
Author: Richard Haynes
Posted: Tue 8th Jun 2021, 9:40
I have an email reminder this morning about the V100 Evidence submission.
Does this mean that my sent files from Wed 2nd didn't get through?
I have not had an acknowledgment.
Posted: Tue 8th Jun 2021, 9:28
The following was sent to all Virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy entrants this morning by the committee.

Please read carefully: and note, the deadline for evidence submissions is 19th June.

Please submit, even if you did not manage 50 miles, or even did not start in order that the results page can be updated. If we don't hear from you by the deadline date, then we will assume that you didn't start and will be shown as 'Did Not Start' in the results.

And a reminder of how to complete your evidence submission.

Thank you for entering the Virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy event. We are over the moon with the response from the LDWA family and with over 400 entries, itâ??s clear that the event has captured the imagination of members. We wish each and every member the best of luck and that we are looking forward to validating your claims.

At the end of the event, and once all claims have been validated, a results page will be populated. It is really important that whatever distance you walk, that you advise the committee of how far you walked and in what time in order that the results page can be populated. If you walk under 50 miles, you will still need to complete the â??Evidence Formâ?? and email it to virtual100@swldwa.uk but you will NOT need to send corroborating evidence to support your claim. However, for entrants who walk any distance of 50 miles or over, corroborating evidence will be required and a variety of evidence will be accepted.

In summary:

â?¢ If you walked less than 50 miles, complete the â??Evidence Formâ?? only.
This form which is available at: https://ldwa.org.uk/2021Hundred/W/7836/evidence-of-completion.html#evidence-form
and email it as an attachment to virtual100@swldwa.uk

â?¢ If you walked 50 miles or more, please follow the instructions at: https://ldwa.org.uk/2021Hundred/W/7836/evidence-of-completion.html

â?¢ You should also read the Validation webpage thoroughly as it explains what a good portfolio of corroborating evidence looks like, see: https://ldwa.org.uk/2021Hundred/W/7836/evidence-of-completion.html

In addition:

â?¢ You will receive an event certificate regardless of how far you have walked. (This is why itâ??s important that you notify us via the â??Evidence Upload Formâ?? regardless of the distance you have walked)

â?¢ You will receive a commemorative gift (multi-functional head gear) for entering the event.

â?¢ If you successfully walk 100 miles, then you will receive an event badge.

â?¢ If you walk a minimum of 50 miles (within 24 hours) or further, then you will be qualified for Trans Pennine 100 that is scheduled to take place in 2022.

â?¢ If you successfully walk 100 miles, then your success will count towards the LDWA Awards of 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 completions.

Thank you for your patience in awaiting these final instructions. During the weekend of the event, for those members who have been participating in the LDWA 100 Facebook page, please do send photos of where you are and if you have the time, tell others how youâ??re getting on. The NEC Communications Officer has built a small team and the event will be publicised to the wider walking community during the weekend of the main event and your contributions will be very welcome. To access the page, please visit: (2) Official LDWA 100 Group - May 2021 (entrants only) | Facebook You may also wish to send details of your adventure to Strider and you can email the editor at: editor@ldwa.org.uk

Finally, good luck on your personal adventure and we look forward to receiving your â??Evidence Formâ?? and accompanying evidence of completion and validating your claims.

To find your entrant number
Click on the following link:
https://ldwa.org.uk/results/full_results.php?event_id=243
Then click on â??Follow Entrantsâ?? and search for the name of an entrant.
The number of the person searched for comes up. E.G. Iâ??m number 1 and when I searched my name, I clicked on my name and bingo, there was number 1 against my name.

Regards,

Virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy Committee
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Mon 7th Jun 2021, 21:19
Local Group: Heart of England
Thanks, David. Moderately reassured! Good luck to the team on what must be a really demanding exercise.

Neil
Posted: Mon 7th Jun 2021, 20:11
Hi Neil, I'm afraid not. But I know that there is a file with your name. If there is an issue we'll be in touch.

Hi Paul - I'm sorry but we didn't discuss grid references in Guernsey. Send what you have accompanied by the important evidence upload form and we'll get back to you if there is an issue.

Regards,

David
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Mon 7th Jun 2021, 17:46
David

Does this auto - response work retrospectively? I submitted on 31 May but havenâ??t had any acknowledgement. Just wondering if I need to resubmit

Neil
Author: Paul Killick
Posted: Sat 5th Jun 2021, 10:39
Thanks Simon and David for your feedback it is much appreciated.

David, please would you raise the issue of grid references for Guernsey at the meeting on Monday and let me know the outcome.

Paul Killick
Posted: Fri 4th Jun 2021, 19:28
Kevin - An auto response has now been set up on the email address for the submissions so all members should now get an automatic reply once they have submitted their evidence.

Paul - You can either fill out the form electronically and save as a word document or print off, hand write and either scan as a pdf of take a photo of it and send as a jpg.

Sorry for the delayed reply. the hard drive on my computer crashed this week and I have only just had it repaired. Plus, the number of emails being received by my colleague is rather a lot and it is going to take a while to work through them all. We have a meeting on Monday to discuss some issues that have arisen.

David
Author: Simon Pipe
Posted: Thu 3rd Jun 2021, 23:11
Paul Killick, not really for me to answer but in case the validators are very busy, I recommend you fill the form in on your computer: easier to do, especially if you can cut-and-paste, and easier for the validators to read. They can also click on links or cut-and-paste into Google if they need.

Dunno what Digimap is but Google suggests not everyone has free access so I'd go with Lat and Long unless you hear otherwise.
Author: Paul Killick
Posted: Thu 3rd Jun 2021, 11:27
Being a total dunce with computers, could you clarify whether the Evidence Form needs to be completed on the computer and then printed and photographed and attached to the email, or do I print it off and fill in by hand before photographing it?
Also, I did my walk in Guernsey (only 50 miles) which isn't covered by the Ordnance Survey grid, so should I give Guernsey Grid references from Digimap or Latitude and Longitude?
Thanks for your help,
Paul
Author: Kevin Pearson
Posted: Wed 2nd Jun 2021, 8:58
David,
Will the Validation Team be sending any acknowledgement of receipt of the emails that are being sent in for checking?

I realise that the checking of any supplied evidence may take some time and we may not see any results until after the closing date, so it would be reassuring to get some confirmation that the potentially large and complex email has been successfully sent and received.
I sent my form in on Monday, and although it appears to have â??Sentâ? , there is also a slightly corrupted copy (stripped of all attachments) sat in my â??Draftsâ? folder - which is a bit perplexing.
Posted: Mon 31st May 2021, 6:20
One of the validation team oversees the emails that are being received from members who are asking for the walks to be validated.

Disappointingly, it would seem that some have not read any of the final instructions that were sent via email and the unsorted attachments that were not accompanied by the evidence upload form and narration have caused the volunteer a lot of extra work. Indeed, the quality was so bad and with no information on times, locations and other key information that the volunteer had no choice but to return it with the message to follow the instructions.

This is plea to all. The team is required to validate the claims. End of. Period.

The team has made it really easy to do but the entrants MUST provide information as requested as this helps the volunteers to look at maps, work out where you went from the description and match the other information to then enable them to validate. Nobody wants anyone to fail, but we need your help to submit as per the process.

Thanks for your anticipated help.
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Wed 19th May 2021, 22:39
Excellent video, in both visual and sound quality, thanks to everyone who contributed and supported David. Great to see the route as designed but 'never was' - but it will still happen, both there and in many other parts of the country, and people will still be supporting it, just not all in one place.
Posted: Wed 19th May 2021, 14:41
Posted: Wed 19th May 2021, 14:41
Just over two weeks ago I walked the route of the hundred that never was, Y 100 Sir Fynwy as I have volunteered to work alongside Julian White on the social media / communications to promote the efforts of the entrants on the weekend of 29-31 May. Julian asked me if I'd make a video of my 100 mile walk and last night it was published on the LDWA YouTube channel.
Good Luck to everyone who walks their own personal 100. This video is about mine.

https://youtu.be/7wDxxQXiRxo
Author: Gordon Teal
Posted: Wed 19th May 2021, 11:09
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi
Dave - Thank you for the response re tracklogs - I was not aware it was not longer supported - I have a facility to convert to GPX and in the meantime I will look to get some other mapping for my GPS.

BWs
Gordon Teal
Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Mon 17th May 2021, 17:34
Hi Dave
I am happy with your previous reply sorry to be a pain. I have picked up the mantle of suppling the information to hand in to the Ldwa everyone else are doing a lot so it is something I wanted to do. I will Manage thanks just wanted to check with the forum for piece of mind and to double check. I am fine with the information you have supplied.
Regards Jeff
Posted: Mon 17th May 2021, 17:28
Hi Jeff
You mentioned that several of you are walking together. Can I suggest that you all have a conversation with each other and between you all identify what portfolio you will gather and through which person the claim form is submitted? This way you'll have full support with reassurance that you are all working towards the same goal.
Posted: Mon 17th May 2021, 17:15
Thanks for that Dave I'm Dyslexic so struggle to take it all in but I should be able to work it out.
Thanks for your prompt reply Jeff
Posted: Mon 17th May 2021, 16:52
Hi Jeff
I don't wish to be awkward, but if you read all the documentation that has been shared, you'll identify the solutions. If a group of peoe walk together only one claim needs to be made as long as everyone else signs the claim form. We've supplied example witness testimonies to give you ideas. Add some digital photos and you'll have a good portfolio. Please go back to the documentation and read it through and you'll identify what you can do.
Posted: Mon 17th May 2021, 16:28
Hi Dave
What would you class as witness testimony. there are a few of us walking together so pictures of together and can we send it all as one. Sorry about leaving it late but it is all coming around really fast now we are just putting everything together .
cheers Jeff
Posted: Mon 17th May 2021, 14:52
Hi Jeff - if you're worried please submit a variety of evidence which can include GPX files, digital photos and witness testimonies. A variety will be accepted but the onus is on you to ensure that you don't put all your eggs into one basket.

Hi Gordon - no we won't be accepting tracklogs. Indeed, when I looked recently I noted that tracklogs have been discontinued, so either convert the tracklogs to a GPX file or submit a variety of other evidence. We have provided alyernative ideas to help all concerned.
Author: Gwyneth Littlejohn
Posted: Mon 17th May 2021, 8:14
Local Group: Bristol & West
Final Instructions with some corrections were re-sent today. At the bottom is information about how to find your entrant number. Works brilliantly for everyone except the 6 people with duplicate names. They have been emailed separately with their number. Any problems email
sf100entries@gmail.com
Posted: Mon 17th May 2021, 6:23
Hi There
I am concerned that if we make a mistake with gps or phones run out and we cannot prove that we have done a full 100. How would we go on with proving would the Ldwa take our word that we have completed the route . we have recced the route and get 102 miles . There are 7 doing the hike. Hopefully this will not happen but it is concerning us
Regards Jeff
Posted: Sun 16th May 2021, 22:55
For those who want to know how to scale-down images on a Mac for uploading as evidence, this guide worked for me: https://alums.vassar.edu/docs/images/volunteer/image-reductions-in-preview.pdf

I was concerned that saving the resized document as a new file would mean the metadata, including location, was lost. Not so - all retained. Very clever.

I may or may not manage 50 miles or more but I've learned so new stuff about pictures!
Author: Gordon Teal
Posted: Sun 16th May 2021, 16:22
Hi
Quick question re evidence for 100 - the evidence page talks about a GPX file/files - does this include or exclude Tracklogs?
BWs
Gordon Teal
Author: Shirley Hume
Posted: Thu 13th May 2021, 20:43
Simon if you read Rules 5 and 6 together it should make sense
Posted: Wed 12th May 2021, 23:13
Picky, I know, but rule 6 doesn't say what I think it is meant to say. I think it is meant to say something like, Entrants may start at any time after 00:01 hours on the Saturday; but must finish within 48 hours and no later than 23:59 on the Monday.
Posted: Wed 12th May 2021, 23:08
If I submit evidence in the form of digital photographs with location recorded in the metadata, will the verification officials be able to see this? Particularly important for night time, I think, when recognisable landmarks may be hard to find for me, and there won't be shops, witnesses or ATMs. I'm about to start learning how to download GPX files.
Posted: Thu 6th May 2021, 11:06
Entrants might wish to read the following web page in order to understand more about what will be required for the evidence that will be submitted to validate any walk of 50 miles or more.

https://ldwa.org.uk/2021Hundred/W/7836/evidence-of-completion.html

As Gwyneth has outlined, the final instructions will be sent on 15.05.21.

Regards,

David Morgan
Author: Gwyneth Littlejohn
Posted: Wed 5th May 2021, 6:46
Local Group: Bristol & West
Final Instructions
The closing date for entries is 15.05. The Final Instructions will be emailed on 16.05. via Si Entries email. If not received please check your junk mail.
Author: Andrew Clabon
Posted: Sat 10th Apr 2021, 7:07
Robert,
That's seems a very good suggestion to me. Others might like to make not of it.

Something else to note regarding your GPS. We had a committee meeting earlier this week and the subject of gpx tracks came up. It was suggested that you do not try and record your route (hopefully the full 100 miles) in one track. There may be too many waypoints for your GPS to handle. The solution would be to record say four 25 mile tracks and submit them with the rest of your verification documents. Separate tracks where one starts where the previous one finished is acceptable. Do not try and stitch them together.

Hope that helps.
Author: Robert Locock
Posted: Fri 9th Apr 2021, 19:27
One point on my proposed route (which I have to take a photo of to avoid a short cut) does not have a landmark.
If I take a timed and dated photo of my GPS showing the grid reference, will it be sufficient?
Posted: Fri 9th Apr 2021, 8:08
The committee overseeing the virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy event met last night.
The software that has been designed to enable entrants to upload their evidence is close to completion. It has been tested by the committee members and works well. There are a couple of tweaks being made to it that will improve the experience of using it for all entrants. It will be possible to upload a variety of documents including pdf, word, gpx and jpg. As soon as the final version of the upload software has been tested, the final instructions will be sent to entrants.

The closing date for entries will be 15.05.21. A decision was taken last night and this date chosen because, despite the fact that this is a virtual event, there are administrative matters to be managed and consequently, by having the closing date as 15.05.21, the key committee members will have the time to undertake the work required in advance of the event.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

David Morgan
Posted: Fri 9th Apr 2021, 8:01
Hi John,

If you take digital photographs and the properties of the jpgs provide the information in relation to the time and date theta they were taken, then as per the rules (see https://ldwa.org.uk/2021Hundred/W/7695/rules.html) then that will be sufficient evidence.
The validators know the physical layout of the checkpoint locations on Y 100 Sir Fynwy route and so if you take a photo at the various locations, then they will be recognised.

Regards,

David
Author: John Sreeves
Posted: Wed 7th Apr 2021, 17:05
Local Group: Wiltshire
I shall be going round the Y 100 Sir Fynwy course exactly as it would have been but with start, finish at Chepstow railway station, and avoiding any private land. I won't have a tracker or GPS recorder, so I will take timed photos of each checkpoint and all nine self clip locations. Question: Will this be adequate verification, and are the self clip location points at or near prominent places that can be recognised in the photos? John S.
Posted: Wed 10th Mar 2021, 15:27
The committee that is looking after Virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy met last night. We've seen a number of posts (on other media sites) from people who want to know more about the process involved in relation to submitting evidence.
Work has nearly finished on creating a website where entrants will be able to upload their evidence. A form will be available to download. The form will ask for a narrative on what entrants did to complete their walk, what time they started and finished and what evidence they will supply to support their claim.

The committee discussed the fact that many appear to be using software such as Strava, OS Maps, Viewranger (or new equivalent) and Komoot to name just a few. As some will be sending gpx files, the event website will also provide links to the various software providers so that entrants can learn how to download their gpx files themselves prior to sending to the team.

Entrants will receive an email in the weeks before the event to the upload section of the website together with a password that entrants will need to log in. Evidence such as jpg images, gpx files and word documents will all be able to be uploaded. The team will also supply examples of what a good claim might look like together with some suggestions on what might make a good witness statement.

So, please bear with the team; they're on the case and entrants can expect to learn more probably in mid April once the testing of the site is complete.
Author: Ian Hull
Posted: Thu 11th Feb 2021, 21:34
Local Group: South Pennine
Peter ,

If you are considering doing half a Virtual 100 , perhaps pushing yourself to walk 50 miles for the first time (no small achievement !) , as a warm up consider the 40 mile Oxon as an unsupported anytime challenge from Stokenchurch for a fabulous day out in the Chilterns during prime blue bell season . Complete anytime 18/3 to 31/5 Covid restrictions allowing !

https://ldwa.org.uk/challenge_events/show_event.php?event_id=24205

Ian
Author: Alan Warrington
Posted: Thu 11th Feb 2021, 19:37
Local Group: Thames Valley
Hi Peter

There is no 50 option as such. We are merely recognising that if any entrant completes at least 50 miles within their first elapsed 24 hours, in their attempt to complete the Hundred, it will be recognised as a valid qualifier for next years Trans-Pennine 100 (subject to verification).

There is absolutely nothing stopping an member from entering the virtual 100, even if they are knowingly only aiming to complete 50, if thats what they wish. It happens on the actual events. After all, qualification opportunities for next years Hundred may be limited.

Do hope that makes sense, and does not in any way deter you from entering.

All entrants will appear on the Hundred Register, unless they advise the entry Secretary, and Registrar, that they wish to be excluded from the register.

Good luck. Your a strong walker and Iâ??m confident in your capability.

Alan

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100 Coordinator
Author: Peter J Smith
Posted: Thu 11th Feb 2021, 13:40
Local Group: London
Alan

I would like to walk the 50mile option being offered.

Please tell me if there is a specific entry procedure for this option, or if one is required to enter the 100mile virtual event.

Many thanks

Peter Smith
Posted: Tue 9th Feb 2021, 8:37
Bryan

As itâ??s a Virtual event, and so many live all over the country (and a few further afield), itâ??s impossible to be so prescriptive and add constraints that some may naturally be unable to achieve because of their residency and so on.

Some of the examples mentioned are given purely for â??guidanceâ?? and arenâ??t mandatory. Donâ??t forget plenty of FAQs on the event website.

My view is simple - the route is of your making. Try and make it as varied and interesting for your own sanity and within any Event and Covid compliant constraints that may be active. If you find it logistically easier to plan multiple shorter loops then go for it.

Looking forward to hearing and reading about many of the adventures.

Good luck.

Alan

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100 Coordinator.
Author: Chris Pitt
Posted: Sun 7th Feb 2021, 20:13
Local Group: Dorset
Author: Bryan Thorpe
Posted: Sun 7th Feb 2021, 12:18
The loop suggestions are an "encouragement". In line with an actual hundred I planned 10 x 10mile loops as the legs on a hundred have more frequent checkpoints plus my strava on my phone (my only recording/measuring device)
will need a boost. Is Dave's post suggesting I must stick to one of the encouraged loop choices.
Author: Sandy Gee
Posted: Sat 30th Jan 2021, 13:23
Local Group: Calderdale
I am plotting my route and my current thinking is to do a 20 mile route from home and repeat since that seems to keep me fairly local and be in the spirit of this week's rules / guidance.

I've been testing a route and measuring with a Garmin 35 watch. For the route I am looking at this gives me 19.99 miles (doh!) and 3100 ft ascent (it is Calderdale!). When this then appears on Strava via Bluetooth it gives 20.29 miles and 2800 feet. That was for a nonstop walk.

So if I get round 5 times I'd be marginally short of 100 per one reading and comfortably over for the other. Anyone know why the difference or if one of them is more reliable than the other? It would be disappointing to complete a 100 and not get to 100 miles!
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Fri 22nd Jan 2021, 11:45
Many thanks Alan.
I appreciate your help and common sense approach to this potentially tricky issue.
It makes things easier to organize a satisfying and satisfactory Hundred, and avoid complicating and artificial features having to be shoe-horned into the final route.
Best wishes,
John.
Posted: Fri 22nd Jan 2021, 7:59
Hi John

Sounds like you are going to have an interesting and varied route.

Donâ??t worry about it. Itâ??s ridiculous for any of the route rules to be so prescriptive on what and what canâ??t be done particularly as the starters are spread length and breadth of the UK and indeed further a field, and some have less access to vast areas of open countryside etc.

Ultimately the route is of the entrants making. It makes sense to make it as varied and interesting as possible. The idea of door to door loops with home as a checkpoint makes perfect sense.

Good luck

Alan
Alan Warrington
LDWA 100 Coordinator
Posted: Thu 21st Jan 2021, 23:51
Could you let me have some advice please? For the Virtual 100 in May, I'm working up details of a 5-loop route from & back to my home, which will act as a rest/refreshment "checkpoint" on each loop. The loops will extend N/W, N. E, S and W and will be around 20ml each. Each loop will be largely off-road, will include hill ascents and trails, & with a minority of road or roadside footpath walking, as per the event guidelines.
They will include a reasonable amount of ascent commensurate with previous regular 100s. Say around 10000ft of total climb and perhaps a bit more. In a few instances there will likely be a very small overlap of one loop with another.
I mean by this that where path choice is very limited, the same strip of ground, over a distance of at most 500m and previously walked on an earlier loop, will be traversed on a subsequent 20ml loop. And on a couple of occasions an "out" route will cross over a "back" route unavoidably at one specific crossing point for a few seconds.
A friend has advised after checking the event rules, route guidelines and FAQs, that you can repeat sections if you want to, you can do 4x25miles on the same loop if you want to. If so there is no requirement to feel the need to be scrupulous about not repeating ground - unless you want to.
That is my reading too. Your advice welcomed. J.
Posted: Mon 18th Jan 2021, 9:35
Hi Robert,

Point 4 of the types of route to be walked includes the following:

Walk 2 x 50 mile loops / 4 x 25 mile loops / 5 x 20 mile loops.

So, the simple answer is yes. But do remember that you must mot stop for more than 2 hours in line with the event rules.

Regards,

David Morgan
Author: Robert Locock
Posted: Sat 16th Jan 2021, 21:57
Can we create one loop that uses a base (my house) as a control ?
What would be the minimum distance of this loop ?
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Sat 16th Jan 2021, 18:40
Local Group: Sherwood
Or rather 23 April!
Posted: Sat 16th Jan 2021, 18:39
Oops, sorry - just found the answer in SiEntries: closing date is 21 April.
Posted: Sat 16th Jan 2021, 18:38
A quick question that I haven't found the answer to in the rules: Is there a closing date for entries?
Posted: Sat 16th Jan 2021, 13:33
Ian â?? Iâ??m glad the info was helpful. There are so many settings on a GPS these days, that I always try to set as much as possible to â??Manualâ?.

Good Luck with your Hundred.
Posted: Fri 15th Jan 2021, 16:50
Kevin Pearson -

I've done a few walks from home with the gps settings changed as you suggest and this has significantly reduced the number of trackpoints without diluting the accuracy of what is recorded . I've no doubt with these settings the gps will now record a full 100 mile route ; thou I'll still save the 2021 V100 gpx in chunks & wait until the following year to put this fully to the test ... just in case it doesn't !!!

Thanks for the advice . Ian
Posted: Mon 11th Jan 2021, 19:41
Hi Roger

Thanks for the questions and interest.
Question 1. Event is for Members ONLY allowed, non members definitely not allowed to participate, and therefore covered PLI insurance wise.
Question 2. Nominated â??organiserâ?? is not necessary as you would all be taking part in an LDWA virtual event. Donâ??t forget youâ??ll be subject to any Covid compliance exercise numbers in place at the time.

Best wishes

Alan

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100s Coordinator.
Author: Roger Wandless
Posted: Mon 11th Jan 2021, 11:32
Alan,

A query about Public Liability regarding a virtual 100 if I may.
What implications would there be on the associationâ??s Public Liability Insurance cover if a group of walkers attempting such an event included non LDWA members.
Secondly, if an intrepid group consisted of members from various LDWA groups would an individual have to be nominated as â??Organiserâ?? to comply with any event regulations.
This was raised at a group meeting recently.

Regards, Roger
Posted: Sun 10th Jan 2021, 20:23
Ian Hull â?? Just seen your post about problems with the large tracklog files required for the 100. Even with the lowest auto track recording setting, it sounds like you are generating too many trackpoints for the Garmin unit to handle over such a long distance. Once it reaches itâ??s maximum of 10,000 trackpoints, it will start overwriting the earlier points â?? hence the reason why you lose the first 30 miles of your track. There is an Auto-Archive function which can save the tracklog file once it becomes full.
I have Record Method set to â??Distanceâ? rather than "Auto" and Interval set to 0.02 miles â?? which means about 5,000 points in the 100 mile file and it has always worked OK for me.
Hope this helps.

Totally agree with your point about not relying on technology and I will also be looking at other ways of verifying my walk.
Posted: Sun 10th Jan 2021, 16:11
Iain

Please see August 2020 edition of Strider, pages 40-41.

If you require further information please contact me direct using email in Strider or main website.

Alan

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100s Coordinator.
Posted: Sun 10th Jan 2021, 15:37
Hi Kev

Thanks for your input.

Absolutely agree that it may presently be outside the spirit to attempt some of the Paths and Hundreds as you mention.

Staying local is the most obvious and perhaps less problematic solution, particularly as 'local' has been left to interpretation by those in authority rather than a specific distance stated by those running the show.

Well done on your achievement last May. See you made it into August edition of Strider, pages 40-41 which covered the event.

Good luck with the opportunity in 2021 and at least this time it will be formally recognised and count towards future awards, qualification for Trans Pennine 100 in 2022, etc.

Alan

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100 Coordinator
Author: Kev Baldry
Posted: Sun 10th Jan 2021, 15:01
Hopefully the Covid restrictions will have eased by May but at present, in England at least, we are being encouraged to exercise locally (with Derbyshire Police issuing £200 fines for travelling 5 miles from home) so, surely, walking a long distance path or previous hundred is not really plausible?

I completed the 2020 Virtual event but will have to amend my plan for this year's more official attempt, including ...

Walking shorter loops from home, 10 x 10 miles perhaps?
Sleeping no longer than 2 hours at a time.

Just my tuppence worth.
Posted: Sun 10th Jan 2021, 14:00
Iain

It is impossible to predict how many members may or may not enter this year or indeed any years Hundred,

What and why do you specifically need the information?

Last years Virtual Hundred was an unofficial event and was to prompt some walking over that weekend and not necessarily for any individualâ??s to actually complete the Hundred distance unlike this years forthcoming event which is an officially recognised event.

Alan

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100s Coordniator.
Posted: Sun 10th Jan 2021, 13:03
A straightforward question (repeat of previous complex version): how many people completed the 2020 virtual 100 ?
Thanks, Iain
Posted: Fri 8th Jan 2021, 22:39
Hi Ian,

You're right. I tend to save each stage that I walk and then stitch together when I get home prior to saving on my hard drive. But, it was recognised that not everyone is as aware of the technology available hence why other forms of evidence can be produced. This is not an either / or list but a list of options that could be used to compliment each other. I think you've identified a fabulous strategy that others might mirror.
Posted: Fri 8th Jan 2021, 20:30
Peter

There is no Marshalsâ?? event weekend per se, and therefore all the walking should be completed during the Spring Bank Holiday weekend as per event website. We want that weekend to be great opportunity for members to try and walk 100 miles in these unique times. By having the walk on the Spring Bank Holiday we are hoping to harness the enthusiasm of the members and advertise the unique fact that our members walk 100 mikes every year in a non-competitive manner. This year, by virtue of the fact that so many will be unsupported or will have minimal support, the stories that people will be able to tell will be really inspiring.

The virtual event organisers who were the main event organisers have worked hard for four years to get to this point. They have agreed to work hard during the weekend by helping manage the social media platforms as well as validating each and every claim made by members who walk during the weekend. Therefore a very small number of the virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy members will be walking the 100 miles during the May Bank Holiday weekend as they will be very busy during the Spring Bank Holiday weekend. Having said all of the above, it is quite feasible that entrants may wish to be formally supported by volunteers from their Local Group. It may also be likely, but not certain, that a few of the official Local Group supporters may also wish to walk an officially recognised Hundred and therefore will also require reciprocal support on an alternative weekend. In this case it would have to be the May Bank Holiday weekend. Iâ??ll run this idea past the NEC when we hold the next meeting on 23 January 2021.

In the meantime I'd be grateful that if there are any enquiries about event rules etc, please refer to the event website before contacting the virtual event committee.

Kind regards

Alan

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100s Coordinator
Posted: Thu 7th Jan 2021, 22:23
Thanks Dave.
I'll give that a go and maybe try it out on shorter reccy sections before the day.
Interesting to read Ian's comments on his device - food for thought. Maybe it's best to save such a long walk in chunks as he advises.
Cheers, J.
Posted: Thu 7th Jan 2021, 20:59
I use a Garmin Montana 600 : whilst this will save the full walked route from the event 50s , it has never saved the full walked route from a 100 as a gpx . On the latter it will randomly start somewhere along the route after around 30 miles despite being switched on for the entire duration (save for changing betteries) & correctly displaying the walked mileage on completion . This is despite the Track Log recording rate being set to "Least Often" . I can only assume there are too many Trackpoints being recorded (the dots making up your trail as you go along) for the device to handle over such a distance .

For the Virtual 100 I'm going to save my walked route at each "checkpoint" , set the counter to zero & record the next leg then repeat . On completion send 12 gpx for verification which will be date & time stamped when saved & pieced together will show what I have walked . Anyone who plans to verify their V100 by sending in a gpx should consider the capability of their device to fully record a route of 100 miles & if in doubt consider breaking it down into more manageable chunks ... or risk completing only to find the first part of the route hasn't been recorded !!! I have three shops on my route so will grab receipts from these & also pass an ATM on the night section so will get an advice slip so long as I remember in the small hours !
Author: Peter Jull
Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2021, 21:40
Can I do a "Marshals" walk over the early May bank holiday so I'm free to provide informal support to other walkers on the main event weekend?
Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2021, 19:51
Hi John - When you save the Strava activity, when on either your laptop or desktop, on the left hand side you'll see three horizontal dots below 'Overview' and 'Segments'. Click on the three dots and you will have several options. One of the options is 'Export GPX'. Click on that and save the GPX file to your hard drive. Then you can email that to the validation team in order that the GPX file can be examined.

Regards,

David
Posted: Mon 4th Jan 2021, 0:10
The entry rules for the Virtual 100 include the following;

"To be awarded a 100 completion entrants must submit evidence that they have achieved covering 100 miles in 48 elapsed hours. This evidence may include:
Unedited GPX file."

So do I understand correctly - a completed 100 route displayed on my Strava account would show the track followed - so this must comprise a "GPX file?" Or is a "GPX file" something else?

Thanks. J.
Posted: Sat 2nd Jan 2021, 17:52
Hi Jeff

All the information you're seeking is on the event website. I've pasted a link to the event rules for your viewing and others reading the thread.

https://ldwa.org.uk/2021Hundred/W/7695/rules.html

Happy New Year!

David
Posted: Sat 2nd Jan 2021, 16:30
Hi Alan
First of all hope everyone has had a fantastic Christmas and hopefully will get out and enjoy our lovely outdoors.

If we do a virtual 100 or 50 Miler this year what proof would you be looking for and if we can not get the proof would you be willing to take our word that we have completed the challenge.
Also would hope if the challenge events are not going ahead would the groups be doing them as virtual challenges. The Lakeland 50 may still go Ahead for some lucky members but for others would you be looking for the lakeland group to set a virtual walk for the rest of us. We did it as an anytime walk last year and found 3 loops with our car stop for drinks and food adequate for this 50.

The virtual walks are not as good as the events but in these times are a way forward in keeping us all motivated and interested.

Once again hope everyone has had a fantastic Chrismas and new year celebration and hope to see many of the walkers soon and look forward for normality.
Posted: Sat 2nd Jan 2021, 13:16
Janet / Helen

Thank you for your interest and valid comments.

Presently, we have been as creative and flexible as possible at the moment. These are exceptional times and may require further unique and creative approaches by event organisers and members alike.

For starters, I have arranged, with approval from NEC, and with the generous assistance of the Y100 SF organising committee, the unique opportunity for a virtual hundred this year for ALL members irrespective of previous qualification experiences. Entrants covering at least 50 miles within 24 hours elapsed time, can qualify subject to formal verification of their walk. For those wanting to enter Trans Pennine 100 (TP100) the opportunity to qualify exists. Letâ??s hope our members embrace this chance, and we see an increase in SiEntries.

We also need organisers of forthcoming 50mile plus events to at least arrange for â??Anytime Challengeâ?? opportunities as itâ??s very unlikely those qualifiers earlier in this year are going ahead as normal. Resignation of doing nothing isnâ??t going to help our members.

For those seriously contemplating entry into the Trans Pennine 100 then the onus will be on you to ensure qualification. There is no reason why this canâ??t be done this year. (Doh! Famous last words, hope they donâ??t come back to haunt me).

Iâ??m sure my successor, after 2021 AGM in March, will continue to be as creative as possible in order to ensure qualification opportunities continue in some shape or form.

Happy New Year

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100s Coordinator
Author: Helen Abbott
Posted: Sat 2nd Jan 2021, 12:30
Accepting well-documented Anytime 50s would help people qualify as well as being challenges in their own right, and perhaps a framework could be put in place to help people do so, especially up-to-date information on where they can get supplies. I did the Surrey Tops in August and found it significantly harder in the late stages due to two possible stopoffs being unavailable or closed, and carrying extra water on the hills early on. Earlier start times would help offset this. Also it would be helpful to be able to share information on problems with the route and possible detours - coming up with a long detour on that route added to the challenge too.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Sat 2nd Jan 2021, 9:10
Local Group: Marches
I hope the LDWA is looking at more creative and inclusive ways of allowing members with the competence and experience to enter a Hundred to take part in the 2022TP 100. Of the current list of 10 qualifying events, the first 3, the Woldsman, the Shropshire Way 80K and Spring in Lakeland are unlikely to take place as planned. Spring in Lakeland has already restricted numbers in the (frankly unlikely) event that it is able to go ahead. After the cancellation of 2 Hundreds the LDWA owes it to all members to ensure that everyone â?? including NHS staff and key workers who are working at weekends â?? have a proper opportunity to take part. I anticipate that they are looking at members showing their competence to enter by considering recognising other events that can go ahead -running events, multi day events and of course virtual events. Maybe encouraging individuals to prove their ability to walk 50 miles by accepting GPS tracks of individual personal challenges. This is a time for thinking outside the box of rigid â??rulesâ?.
Posted: Fri 1st Jan 2021, 16:01
Alan and Ian, thanks for the comments.

I had thought of the 2020 virtual 100 as a 'gap-filler', but now realise that many people would also have done it in order to qualify for the Y 100 Sir Fynwy. That being the case, the numbers who did the 2020 virtual 100 should be a good indicator of the takeup of the 2021 virtual event. If so, how many might be predicted to qualify in this way, and what would be the current estimate for total participants on the 2022 100, including those from other qualifying events which are still slated for the second half of 2021 ?
Posted: Thu 31st Dec 2020, 17:10
It is worth noting that EVERYONE who wishes to enter the 2022 TP100 will need to complete a qualifier during 2021 or early 2022 . Having completed Hadrian's 100 will NOT count ! I'm not sure how many realise this who do not follow the forums . And of course the TP100 has been moved by Royal Command to Fri/Sat/Sun 03/04/05 June .

The full list of qualifiers for 2022 can be viewed on the link below :

https://ldwa.org.uk/2022Hundred/W/7015/qualifying-events.html

I think many are enthused at the prospect of the Virtual 100 ,( I've already sorted out my routes !) & may have a crack at doing a 100 in their local area ; a distance which they might not have otherwise attempted . Fingers crossed the supported events as we know them can get going again during the second half of 2021 once the vaccines have been widely rolled out to the masses : the Surrey Tops is a must do in the autumn to keep the sequence going on the Southern Triple Challenge !

Ian
Posted: Mon 28th Dec 2020, 8:35
Iain

You raise a really valid concern in relation to qualification for the 2022 Trans Pennine 100. The qualification period opens 01January 2021.

In my opinion, organisers of events, that would, under normal circumstances be run and completion counted, should consider providing it as an â??Anytime Challengeâ?? event, if unable able to hold due Covid stuff. Providing route description and GPX file for a small fee, the walk could be completed (subject as always to covid compliance constraints) and entrants provide suitable proof of completion, for verification and subsequent issue of certificate etc. Verified completion could be recorded and count towards qualification of Trans Pennine 100 in 2022.

There were some new events planned across the country and potentially new triple challenges on the horizon prior to Covid. However, they went the way of so many others and havenâ??t progressed.

We certainly need to continue and be more creative in 2021, rather than not doing anything.

Food for thought, a new topic rather than lost within the 2021 Virtual event topic?

Best wishes

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100s Coordinator.
Posted: Sun 27th Dec 2020, 13:37
Really good point Ian Idont think anyone knows what will happen . The virtual challenges are a step forward but miss the challenge events just for the socialising and supporting the other groups walks.
If we do get challenge walks going again would love south Wales to do the Taith Torfaen again really would like to do. Hopefully see you soon on a challenge.
Jeff
Posted: Sun 27th Dec 2020, 11:57
With the only current way to qualify for the 2022 Hundred being a virtual 100 or virtual 50, I'm wondering if there will an increased demand for 'organised' 50s during the later parts of 2021. Currently the most pessimistic projection that I've heard for country-wide vaccination is by next August. If that holds up, it seems likely that a 'normal' challenge walks programme might resume by at least the Autumn.

In recent pre-Covid years, local groups responded to the reportedly unequal distribution of 50s across the UK by reviving old challenges or introducing new ones. Those which would have come round before mid-2021 are currently cancelled, or, now, may be offered as virtual 50s. But could they be shifted to later in the year ? If not, or if there are too few to satisfy demand, might local groups be once more encouraged to introduce new 50s, revive old ones, or extend existing longer challenges ?

Lots of Ifs, but if (sorry) a vaccinated summer is upon us and, as has (I believe) happened before, the Autumn holds only one or two 'real' 50s in the same half of the country, we might wish we'd thought of it earlier. It would be a great shame if the 2022 Hundred is under-served because of lack of opportunities to qualify rather than lack of demand.

Iain.
Author: Bill Milbourne
Posted: Sat 26th Dec 2020, 13:16
I am trying to put together an event for Northumbria Group Members to attempt the Virtual 100 with support . I am thinking of doing loops from a central point that would supply food and drink so you dont have to carry your own . There will be hot drinks at night and maybe some hot food as well if Covid rules allow. There may be some spare places if anyone is interested. I havent got a definite plan yet, I will start working on it when I sober up after Hogmanay but let me know if you would like to join us
Author: Jo Dixon
Posted: Thu 17th Dec 2020, 22:22
Thank you Jeff, I have sent you a personal message. Great to hear from you!
Wishing you and yours well.
Posted: Thu 17th Dec 2020, 21:07
Jo If you like you can walk with us we are doing 3 different loops in lancashire to make up 101 miles so we can have our cars with food also we will have support. If you dont fancy that a foot in 2 dales hopefully in July Fingers crossed were all down for that. Bullock smithie in september is still on we are all down for thay one fingers crossed but that one is selling fast. Hope you and your Family and all at the LDWA have a fantastic christmas and hopefully see you on a walk with you as usual way in front of me up the Hills.
Author: Jo Dixon
Posted: Thu 17th Dec 2020, 19:27
It is such a shame that the 100 will not be going ahead but it is understandable and the early decision is appreciated.
I hope that the virtual event is not the only qualifier for the following year's 100.
I don't feel that I can take part due to the safety aspect. To be a lone (female) walker walking continuously for 100 miles throughout the day and night in unfamiliar surroundings is really not an option for me. I am hoping that previous years qualifying events will be acceptable for future 'actual' 100s.
Posted: Wed 16th Dec 2020, 18:01
Thanks Alan for your honest opinion and I totally respect it. I will do all the homework for the Y 100 Sir Fynwy Just incase the rules change and would love to do I can use my t shirt and Buff. However totally believe the rules wont change by spring bank holiday I feel for all the walkers who put down believing that it would go ahead.

However the new concept of the virtual Y 100 Sir Fynwy has set everyone buzzing about 100s I have had loads of emails on the subject many thanks for that.
Regards JEFF
Posted: Wed 16th Dec 2020, 17:17
Hi Jeff

To be honest, and this is my own personal opinion is not to think about this particular idea. There are still just far too many variables and uncertainty regarding travel regulations and so on. There are some lovely previous Hundreds near you. Lots of information in the archive.

Save Y100 SF for another day.

Regards

Alan
Posted: Wed 16th Dec 2020, 16:28
Hi Alan
I would love to do the Y 100 Sir Fynwy for My 100 but only if the covid situation changers and our countries align again . Do you think this would be feasible and I would be walking alone without support (Lisa will be shopping) so on route would there be any places I can top up my supplies. This would probably not be happening but fingers crossed and the wind blowing the right way could happen.
It would be a real shame for all that hard work you all put in to miss out and looks fantastic walk.
Regards JEFF
Posted: Tue 15th Dec 2020, 17:53
Hi Jeff

Many thanks for your positive attitude and response to this unique position.

Your question is mentioned in the event details and FAQâ??s on the Y100 Sir Fynwy website but to clarify:

Absolutely, successful completion of a Hundred miles within the 48 hours elapsed time will count as a valid qualification for TP2022 as indeed will anyone attempting the hundred and completing 50 miles within 24 hours elapsed time. Entrants will need to ensure evidence is available and submitted to enable verification/ validation by organisers. Completion of hundred will also count to future 10/20/30/40 awards.

Please have a good read of the event details including FAQâ??s and if anything else comes to mind that isnâ??t mentioned then please feel free to contact either myself or the organising team.

Very best wishes and Good luck in your quest.

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100s Coordinator
Posted: Tue 15th Dec 2020, 15:45
Hi Alan.
Sorry to here the event is cancelled and thankyou for all the work you have put over the last 3 years and particulary the last 10 months must have been difficult for you all. Many thanks for giving us all the option to complete an 100 next year even though I had my heart set on the Y 100 Sir Fynwy which would have been a fantastic event as we all know. However it will be fun to see all the 100s everyone picks to do . Alan will the 100 be classed as a qualifier for the following years Trans Pennine 100 . once again Many thanks Jeff.
Posted: Tue 15th Dec 2020, 10:36
Plan B.

Sadly the 2021 Hundred cancellation has taken place (see topic below this entry).

I'm sure you would all agree this is an incredibly disappointing time for the organisers who have spent many years and long hours preparing an event that undoubtedly would have showcased some of South Wales stunning scenery and hospitality. They do indeed deserve a huge round of applause from us all.

With this possibility on the horizon I sought permission from the NEC, and with agreement from the existing Y100 SF committee we have created the opportunity to still hold an 'official' Hundred in 2021. The format isn't unique, think Great North Run or Virgin Money London Marathon virtual events earlier this year. It is however, radically different from anything that's preceded and hopefully just this once.

Opportunity is open to ALL members, without need to qualify. Same principles, aim to complete at least 100 miles within 48 hours elapsed time, on a route of your choice, no stop longer than 2 hours. Lots more information and FAQ's available on Y100 SF website and SiEntries.

These are exceptional times. Opportunities exist to be very creative and still provide a chance for us all to get out and do the things we love so much. I hope you will all embrace this virtual event with open arms and enter with the spirit and enthusiasm so often shown by our walking community.

Good luck.

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100s Coordintor

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law