Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - help with planning a walk camping with a dog !

Author: Nick Ford
Posted: Fri 10th Aug 2007, 4:18
Local Group: The Irregulars
Alison
Although i haven't walked any LDPs with my dog (a 3 year old Sprocker) i did wild camp on The Ridgeway, Icknield Way & Peddars Way (These all go to make up an LDP The Graeter Ridgeway book available from Cicerone press). Also the Norfolk Coastal Path & Weavers Way would be great walks with a dog. When walking Hadrians Wall I stayed in a farm run bunk barn near The Centurion Pub and there was a gentleman walking the wall with his dog.
Author: Paul Lawrence
Posted: Thu 10th May 2007, 18:09
Local Group: London
The Backpackers Club provides to its members a list of the locations (grid references, etc) of many pitches/sites by path on or near a wide range of the LDPs, but you need to be a member of the BPC to get this. See their website at http://www.backpackersclub.co.uk/ under Services. In some cases these also have contact details. Could be a useful guide.
Author: Julie Gardner
Posted: Tue 8th May 2007, 19:54
Local Group: High Peak
Dear Alison,

I have done numerous trails in this country with my two dogs and a tent. I choose to wild camp and to date I have never had any problems, however I am very careful where I pitch tent and I let nobody know where I am staying, that is if I am asked. The only forward bit of planning you need to do, is where to pick up food supplies and water is available for the dogs. My big dog owns a pair of panniers, his side and hers and can carry food for 4 days -not recommended for a Jack Russell. I have also found that really after 3 to 4 days both dogs have had enough, especially when walking approx 25 miles a day so I think any trail approx 100 miles is fine. Therefore, I can recommend Dales Way, Cleveland Way, Cumbria Way, Ridgeway, West Highland Way, White Peak Way and I have just completed the Glyndwr Way in Mid-Wales (135 miles) which was wonderful and I can highly recommend to every person dog owner or not. Excellent.

Another thing I have done is obtain past 100 route descriptions and used these for 4 days out.

If I can be of any further help, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Julie, Flash and Dolly Gardner.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Tue 1st May 2007, 21:02
Local Group: Heart of England
Dear Alison

I backpacked Hadrian's Wall the year that the long-distance path opened (I think it was 2003) with my dog. It was an excellent walk, but there was little infrastructure for camping along the way. The first 2 nights I camped in farmer's fields (after asking permission of course!), but the 3rd and 4th nights there were campsites close to the route. I was alone for most of the way and thoroughly enjoyed the idea of treading in roman footprints. It was fun visiting the forts and other sites en route, but they did not all allow dogs, so I just left her at the ticket offices and the staff were happy to keep an eye on her. However, I was pretty walled-out by the end!! It was also easy to get to and from by train.
Posted: Tue 1st May 2007, 8:23
Thanks for that , Elton. I`ll look into the SDW.
You are quite right about the Cotswolds !
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2007, 20:24
Local Group: Surrey
Hi Alison
I found the South Downs Way good for wild camping. Plan your water carefully. There are taps on the route: The one near Cocking is fine (or was when I used it in April 2006), but the one below West Hill near Poynings gave cloudy water - I chose to go thirsty. The one at Ilford Farm on the A26 (near Southease) was fine.

The Cotswold Way was not so good (too much civilization) and water is difficult - you may have to detour to a village.

The West Highland Way is good for both camping and water (taps and some clean streams). You'll love the scenery but the midges love hikers.

If you want something close to home, the SDW is your best bet.
Elton
Posted: Tue 24th Apr 2007, 23:05
I am a new member and would appreciate any advice from more experienced walkers.
Last summer I walked about 60 miles of the SW coastal path with my 2 dogs and a tent. Now that the blisters have gone and the pain receded I would like to plan another walk this July, though sadly my Golden is too old now, so it`s just the terrier.
I had in mind a few paths but on closer research the routes I liked seem to have almost no campsites. B&B`s are rarely an option with my dog ( and anyway I like to camp )
Does anyone know of a route 60 -100 miles that I can walk with a Jack Russell and a tent ?
Many thanks
Alison

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law